Located in the Province of Bam, in the Centre-Nord Region of Burkina Faso, the communes of
International Advisory, Products and Systems (i-APS) has been awarded a contract by Plan Inter-
national USA to perform real-real time verification for a 17-month project supporting the neighbor-
hood rebuilding efforts of residents of Area 4 (Barangays 62 and 62-A) in Tacloban City titled
“Building Back Better in Tacloban: Post Haiyan Community Rehabilitation” Project that was de-
signed in response to the devastation by Super Typhoon Haiyan in November 2013.
The project sought to help Area 4 to “build back better” through improved shelter and water, sanitation and
hygiene (WASH) facilities complemented by integrated Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Protection mecha-
To distill and document positive learnings and lessons learned from the project and draw out both good practic-
es and areas for improvement. The study will cover the following themes
• Follow-on activities in Area 4 and other areas of Tacloban City.
• Urban Shelter & Settlements (S&S) program and relationship between “squatters” (non-tenured residents),
landowners/landlords, City Hall, and neighborhood residents.
• Reasons for over-fulfillment of assistance.
• Shelter & Settlements assistance dimensions.
• Lessons and Good Practices for Shelter and Settlements S&S in a space-constrained urban area.
• Donation 30 total rebuilds to Villa Plan.
• Beneficiary response to 2-story T-shelters.
• Collaboration with Eastern Visayas State University (EVSU) on DRR-Settlements infrastructure mitigation work.
• Performance of mitigation work in recent storms.
• Integrating hardware (Shelter + WASH improvements) with software (Protection and DRR programming).
• Beneficiary satisfaction/complaints/suggestions for improvement, related to (a) Plan engage-
ment, interaction with target neighborhoods; and (b) project improvements to neighborhood.
• The organizational experience of Plan.
To learn more about this program please contact Agron Ferati, i-APS Executive Director at >firstname.lastname@example.org or Frank Manfredi Senior Director, Resilience Practice Area – Plan Interna-tional USA at Frank.Manfredi@planusa.org